International conference The ports of the Indian Ocean, from the Red Sea to the Gulf of Bengal
organised by the MeDIan Project, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), the Centre for Archaeological Studies and Training, Eastern India (CASTEI), and the French Embassy in India.
Download the complete program: Kolkata_program_19_02_11 (updated 19/02/2011).
Alphabetical list by authors (updated 19/02/2011)
Click on the title to see the abstract.
- C. ALLIBERT (INALCO, Paris), The meaning of « port » and « place of call » in the Western Indian Ocean: toponyms and evidences of migrations.
- S. BADHREENATH (ASI, Chennai), Mamallapuram, the Port of the Pallavas.
- B. BELLINA (CNRS, UMR 7528, Paris), Cultural dialogue between the Bay of Bengal and the South China Sea from a cosmopolitan industrial city-port of the Thai-Malay Peninsula (late first millennium BCE).
- M.-P. BLASINI (Centre des Archives d’Outre-Mer, Aix-en-Provence), The Depot of the Fortifications of the French colonies in India (memoirs and cartography). (read by Jean-Marie LAFONT)
- O. BOPEARACHCHI (CNRS, UMR 8546, Paris), Diffusion of Mahayanist Images and Implantation of Port at River Mouths in Ancient Sri Lanka.
- F. CHAMI (Daar es-Salam University), Ancient Settlements and Trade on the Eastern African coast and Islands.
- P. J. CHERIAN (Kerala Council for Historical Research, Thiruvananthapuram), Evidence of Indian Ocean trade from the Malabar Coast.
- D. COUTO (EPHE, Paris), The Archeological Project of Bassein’ Portuguese Settlement: a New Appraisal.
- K. F. DALAL (Mumbai), The Excavations at Sanjan and their contribution towards understanding the archaeology of the Indian Ocean Littoral in the Early Medieval Period (8th c A.D. to 12th c A.D.).
- S. DISSANAYAKE (Director General of Archeology, Sri Lanka), Recent archaeological evidence on the maritime trade in the Indian Ocean: shipwreck at Godavaya.
- J.-C. DUCENE (Université Libre de Bruxelles), The ports of the Western coast of India according to the Arab geographers (VIII-XV cent.): a glimpse in geography.
- A.S. GAUR & A. SUNDARESH (National Institute of Oceanography, Goa), Ancient Technology of Jetties and anchoring system along the Gujarat Coast, India.
- C. HARDY-GUILBERT (CNRS, UMR 8167, Paris), Al-Shihr, Islamic harbour of Yemen on the Indian ocean (780-2007).
- S. KELLER (CNRS, UMR 8167, Paris), Identity of Western Indian Sea towns. An urbanistic study case of Bharuch and Khambhat.
- O. KESSLER (Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften der Universität Bonn), Environment, infrastructure and nature of ports in Ancient Sri Lanka. The archaeological evidence from the harbour, monastery, town and ship wreck (1st cent. BC) of Godavaya (Godapavata Pattana).
- J.-M. LAFONT (INALCO, Paris), French factories in Bengal: the dossier of Alfred Martineau.
- E. LAMBOURN (De Monfort University), A snapshot of al-Hind in 1293 AD : New data on Indian and Sri Lankan ports and networks from recently discovered Yemeni sources.
- R. MUKHERJEE (Hyderabad University), Ports, Routes and Networks in the Bengal Delta.
- M. NAMBIRAJAN (ASI, Thrissur, Kerala), Pattanam (Muziris?) Excavations – A Port Town on the Malabar Coast. A few observations.
- D. NAPPO (Oxford University), The ports of the Red Sea as customs gates.
- N. PERERA (Deputy Director General, Department of Archaeology, Sri Lanka), O. BOPEARACHCHI (CNRS, UMR 8546, Paris), New Evidence on International Trade in the Indian Ocean based on Recent Archaeological Excavations in Sri Lanka.
- S. PRAMANIK (ASI, Delhi), Hathab: An Ancient Port of the Gulf of Khambhat.
- K. RAJAN (Pondicherry University), Port cities and hinterland trade in Early Historic Tamil Nadu.
- D. M. RAWAT (ASI, Delhi), Piram Island – A Case Study.
- A. ROUGEULLE, H. RENEL, E. VALLET (MeDIan Project, CNRS, UMR 8167, Paris), The ports in the Medieval Western Indian Ocean: a tentative typology.
- J.-F. SALLES (MeDIan Project, CNRS, FR 538, Lyon), Towards a geography of the harbours of the Persian Gulf in Antiquity (6th cent. BC-6th cent. AD).
- A. SAXENA (University of Baroda), Lesser Known Ports of Western Indian Ocean: Maritime Perspectives from Kachchi Coastline in Gujarat c. 1550-c.1850.
- V. SELVAKUMAR (Tamil University, Thanjavur), Internal Trade and Exchange Network and the Ports of Ancient Tamizhakam.
- K. P. SHAJAN (Cochin University), Geo-archaeology of the Indo-Roman port site of Pattanam (Muziris) on the Malabar Coast, India.
- I. STRAUCH (Universität Würzburg), The Indian inscriptions from the cave Hoq on Socotra – new evidence for Indian intercontinental trade contacts in the first centuries AD.
- A. SUNDARESH & A. S. GAUR (National Institute of Oceanography, Goa), Ancient port of Kaveripattinam: its existence and decline.
- R. TOMBER (Bristish Museum, London), Living in the Egyptian Ports: Daily Life at Berenike and Myos Hormos.
- S. TRIPATI (National Institute of Oceanography, Goa), Maritime trade of the Eastern Indian littoral as evidenced from archaeological sources, tradition and monsoon winds.
- E. VAGNON (MeDIan Project, BNF, Paris), The ports of Western India in the Latin maps, 13th–15th cent.: toponymy, location and evolution.
- E. VALLET (MeDIan Project, Université Paris 1-Panthéon-Sorbonne), Indian harbours in the Yemeni Rasulid archives : new economical datas from the Late Middle Ages.
- C. WARD (Coastal Carolina University), C. ZAZZARO (MARES Project, University of Exeter), Boat related activities at the pharaonic harbour of Mersa Gawasis.
- H. J. WEISSHAAR, H. SCHENK (DAI, Berlin), The Citadel of Tissamaharama (Sri Lanka): the development of a city and the Indian Ocean trade.
- J.-B. YON (MeDIan Project, CNRS, Lyon), The harbour of Spasinou Charax.
- C. ZAZZARO, J. P. COOPER (MARES Project, University of Exeter), Recent archaeological investigations on Greater Farasan and in the Southern Red Sea.